Ingredients for the meringues (makes around 30)
- 4 Egg Whites (around 120g egg whites)
- 240g Caster Sugar
- ¼ tsp White Vinegar
- The scraped seeds of one whole vanilla pod
Ingredients for the Vanilla Buttercream Filling
- 100g unsalted Butter, room temp
- 200g Icing Sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract or vanilla paste
- 30ml Milk
- Gold dust, to serve
- Preheat oven to 110°C and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper of a baking sheet.
- Place the egg whites into a stand mixer and whisk on high until you reach stiff peak stage. You should be able to lift the bowl over your head without any mixture falling out, but do not overwork. You want stiff meringues without the "cloudy, fluffy look".
- While continuing to whisk, add caster sugar and then add vinegar. Whisk until you have thick, glossy peaks and until the mixture feels smooth – without any grainy textures from the sugar.
- Add vanilla and gently fold in with a spatula.
- Place into a piping bag and pipe your meringue kisses on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then turn off the oven, open the over door and leave your meringues to rest for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare buttercream by beating the butter and icing sugar.
- Add vinegar and milk and beat again until smooth and creamy.
- Place into the fridge until ready to use.
- Assemble meringues by gently smearing buttercream onto one meringue kiss, then seal it closed with the other meringue kiss to make one whole meringue.
- Continue this process until all of your meringue kisses have a partner, then lightly roll or brush in gold dust.
- Serve immediately or keep in a cool, dry place until ready to serve.